Tuesday 14 November 2006

Of Jocks And Nerds

I have been feeling quite uneasy for past two weeks or so, and I don't think that the exams have anything to do with it. Well, the exams might have something to do with it, but for the most part, I daresay that my feelings of queasiness stems from something much, much darker. I constantly find myself waking up in the middle of the night (not due to frequency, mind you) only to discover my palms sweating and my heart beating ever-slightly-a-bit-more-rapid than usual.

The reason behind my state of near paranoia is this -


For those who don't know about it yet, Canis Canem Edit (or, Bully, as it is known in Northern America) is about a 15 year old lad by the name of Jimmy Hopkins and his (mis)adventures in a new boarding school i.e. Bullworth Academy. The game follows Jimmy as he juggles between studies, friends, social companions (read: girls), factions in the school (the nerds, jocks, preppies, greasers) and of course, bullies - all on a daily basis.

Everybody, meet Jimmy Hopkins

Now, you might be asking "Why the big fuss over a game?" The reason, dear readers, is because this particular game somewhat brings back memories of my past. Memories which are not so pleasant, at best.

I am ashamed to admit it, but during my growing up years, I used to be the target of bullies. I don't know why, but bigger and nastier boys always saw it fit - and entertaining, I suspect - to humiliate me in public. Must be because of my timid and docile nature back then.

Fortunately, I didn't have to go through this.

Though I can't really say that the experience scarred me for life, it most certainly left a bitter taste lingering in my mouth. Something like eating a bitter gourd, I suppose. Nobody wants to have to go through the same experience twice, especially eating a bitter gourd.

Faces which are just asking for it. I think I most resemble the one in the middle - minus the goofy looking glasses.

Looking back, I wish I had the courage to stand up to those bullies. I wish I could have looked at them in the eye and tell them to stop disturbing me. It would have given me some self confidence and a sense of achievement (something which I sorely need, with the Royal Debate around the corner). But never mind. That's all in the past, and now, I'm content enough with ignoring those who I don't like. Still...it'd be nice to throw back a few punches for shows. Just kidding.

Giving 'im the ol' one-two

p.s. I do not, in any way, suggest using violence as a way to get back at those bullies with brains about the size of walnuts. You wouldn't be any better than them if you resorted to that method. Instead, do all your punching in the game. At least nobody gets hurt; save the nerds and jocks, perhaps.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow hiyoshi, i didnt know you were a playstation fan. first the post on psp, and now on Bully.

regarding the PSP, are you getting one? wow ... cool. make sure you get luminees, ridge racer, wipeout, metal gear portable ops and field commander.

i have also been reading and reading about Bully for a while now, and even considering buying it. it's very well rated indeed on various websites. however, im saving for final fantasy 12.

regarding bullying, wow, i shocks me learning about people you read about everyday. what you could do is follow my friend - he works out so much that from being overweight, he's now buff, macho & freaking strong.

build up those pecs & biceps hiyoshi. (not to punch people but once those bullies see those biceps they'll at least think twice ;)

dith said...

Eh tu lagu background untuk game Bully ye? Ever tried Diablo? A game where you for sure wont get bullied especially when you hack the game and and get you endless supply of life potions! hehe

Hiyoshi, let not your 'bullied' past haunt you and control your present emotions. I think there is a special dzikir that helps to buld one's confidence and makes people in awe of you (in the positive aspect that is!). FInd it and amal kan hari2, insyallah!

p.s. I wont encourage my children play PS1,2,3 or whatever, fullstop, :p

Jamil said...

mynn

I am indeed a fan of the Playstation. Quite a gamer myself, if I may say so. Regarding the PSP, I've already been the proud owner of it since early this year. However, it is only recently that I have found time and err...the means to play it.

I already have most of the titles you mentioned (and more). Can't wait for Metal Gear and Final Fantasy VII

Somehow, the idea of buffing myself up isn't that appealing :( Besides, now I'm already invisible enough for anyone to even take notice of me.

DITH

Yes, that is the main theme of the game. Don't know why, but I'm fascinated by it.

I've played Diablo before and let's just say that I've gotten more than an endless supply of health potions *wink*

Don't worry about me. I've never really been bothered by my past anyway - though it does make for some uncomfortable moments when everybody else starts talking about their past.

p.s. My parents were once like that too. They ruled with an iron fist and there was a strict 'No Entertainment' policy in the house. Fortunately, now they've soften up a bit and see it okay to play games once in awhile.

Orangkilang said...

I once chased a senior with a broom with the intent to take his head off for bullying. Actually I was ignoring the idiot until he started to make fun of my mother. That did it. He crossed the invisible line that even murderers and convicts dare not cross with each other...

After that incident my life was 'bully' free. Ironically those same 'idiots' nowadays are seeking employment and from time to time their resumes to cross my desk...slide across the clean surface and into the garbage bin.... muahahaha...

Regards

Anonymous said...

u know what...I still remember there was one brutal group which surprisingly terdiri daripada 5 orang wanita brutal..mereka ni memang taiko abis dan sume budak lain takut giler ngan diorang..saya sendiri penah disuruh menyapu sampah kat koridor oleh diorang tp oleh kerana saya seorang yang tak suke diarah2..saya pun buat bodo n sebagai balasan diorang mengeluarkan perkataan2 yang menyakitkan hati yang sering membuatkan saya menangis..but u know what happen to them now?? sorang pun tak masuk u...skrg buat keje2 picisan (saya tidak menghina pekerjaan2 begini tp memandangkan masa sekolah dulu mereka ni termasuk dalam golongan pandai juga....mcm tak patut je tak dpt masuk u..mungkin exam kantoi kot..) Baru2 ni terserempak dengan ketua taiko die..terus je tunduk2 mase tengan sapu lantai McD..saya tegur dia and dia mcm tersipu2 je time bersalam..n apa saya rasa time tue?? saya rasa puas..sekurang2nya someone yang pernah dibuli ni akhirnya berjaya menjadi somebody..walaupun saya tak penah dapat balas balik apa yang dia buat pd saya..saya dahpun maafkan..in fact..rase kesian sgt kat dia tgk keadaan dia sekrg..serius..keje dia sekarang tak sesuai langsung denga ketaikoan dia dulu...

Anonymous said...

nothing related to the entry (coz i dunno what to comment regarding games, and as for bullying, you've handled urself well i suppose).

but the audio you have on the blog atm, i wonder ada tak musical box with that tune, best pulak. i wish i had the money to be a serious musical box collector.

Jamil said...

OK

I guess you must have really snapped back there. With the broom in hand, you sound more dangerous and menacing than that bully.

I've never gone to the extent of chasing someone with a broom, but I did throw one of those wooden chairs. Thank goodness nobody was hurt in my temporary moment of insanity.

no name

I suppose I'm lucky enough to have never met any girl bullies (what an weird phrase). No, wait. I have. In fact, I used to be teased by these two 'macho' (if that is the word) girls. Dammit. My past is more pathetic than what I remember.

23

The music is nice isn't it? Just to share with you, the OST of the game comprised of original composed tunes; not songs taken from other groups or bands.

This is something new to me - a musical box collector :)

Anonymous said...

heheh..

Jamil said...

pieja

What's that chuckle supposed to mean?

ilya

Really? I mean, really? Hope I looked good in a spandex costume.

pycnogenol said...

Betul ke awak kena buli dulu Hiyoshi?

Sekarang awak sudah besar panjang, kenapa awak tidak BULI BALIK?

Mama Pongkey said...

Men in tights????

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ayumi said...

Salaam..
Boys and video games.. are they THAT inseparable???

Bullies are sad people. Really, they are.

ayumi said...

Salaam..
Boys and video games.. are they THAT inseparable???

Bullies are sad people. Really, they are.