Sunday 20 December 2020

The Puddle In Front of My Porch

If I have been keeping track of my to-do list correctly, then I have about twenty other things which I should be working on at this very moment. So of course, the natural thing for me to do is instead completely ignore them all, binge on Youtube videos all day long and partake in some pseudo-intellectual writing i.e. rambling on my blog. Why am I like this?


**************************

It's currently the rainy season over here. The days are dull and grey, and they are interspersed with cycles of heavy and light rain. Wet stray cats, shivering from the cold, frequently seek shelter under my porch. On more than one occasion, I have discovered a frog hiding under a cup in my sink. It's already been two weeks since I've done the laundry (can't risk my clothes smelling like they're a makeshift site for fungal cultivation) and I can nary go outside without first pulling up the ankles of my trousers. These are the some of the things that have been going on while the rain rages on outside. 

Actually, I should be quite thankful that these are the only inconveniences I've had to put up with. Should the Big Flood of 2014 recur (hopefully not), I may very well be typing this out while sitting atop a roof, my sorry behind waiting to be hauled off to a flood center.

(I don't think I'd fare well at a flood center. I already cope poorly when placed together with a small crowd in a moderately-sized room, so the thought of being stuck in a vast communal hall together with a bunch of strangers sends a shiver down my spine and makes me break out into a cold sweat)

I remember as a young boy, the rainy season used to be more...rainy? What I mean by this is, it used to be that there'd be continuous rain for two or three days at a time. Sure, in between the torrential pours there'd be moments of light drizzle, but the fact remains that it was raining non-stop. These days however, it rains heavily for maybe an hour or two, and then there'd be no rain - sometimes even sunshine - for the following couple of hours, and then the cycle repeats. Maybe this is what they mean by climate change?

Whatever it is, I have always associated the rainy season with frequent snacking, drinking hot tea by the gallon, and also warm, thick blankets - all of which I have been indulging in during my weekend off. I'm just really using the cold,wet weather as an excuse to be lazy at this point, but boy oh boy, is it a valid one.

No comments: