Friday 9 June 2006

Lessons Learnt in Langkawi Part 3 (Or Get On With It!!)

This is a signboard to Pantai Chenang. However, I could not find a signboard to Pantai Chuchah.

In contrast to the misadventures we had on the second day, the third day was quite calm and relaxed. Not to mention hot. Yes, the sun was shining away happily, burning our sorry skins to a light crisp.

We managed a visit to the Paddy Garden in the morning. But to my dismay, the place was deserted! Save for the person at the counter, of course. Not only that, even the paddy were way past their harvest schedule. A few lots were supposed to be harvested sometime back in 2005, yet they still stood there like galiant soldiers protecting their turf.

This picture is dedicated to mama sarah, who hopefully after this will erase the 6-year old mental image.

Next up was supposed to be Galleria Perdana. That's where the former Prime Minister - namely, Dr Mahathir - keeps his old stuff. A convenient dump museum, I suppose. However, we never got to see his collection of memories as we ended up at the Langkawi Cultural Centre.

At the Cultural Centre, you get to see first-hand how several traditional Malay carfts are produced. They have these booths that house one or two people who diligently carry out their trade despite having a number of people ogling at observing them. My mom even sat down to have a light chat with one of the 'artisans' who was working on a terendak (that's what my mom told me)

Tekat? Tetak? Tekak? I do not know.

A nice surprise awaited us. It so happened that our visit this time around coincided with the last show of a troupe of traditional Malay dancers. The dances were entertaining, with them performing for around 45 minutes. Imagine the calories that they managed to burn that day! A few dances worth mentioning were the tarian payung, tarian kraftangan and tarian burung merak. Again, these are all made up names which I have come up to describe the movements of those eight or nine dancers. To repeat them in public is to open yourself to general humiliation. You have been warned.

Unfortunately, the peacock picture can't be included as it was err...unfit for publication.

Later in the afternoon, we stopped by the beach (the one which had a cendol seller) for one last time. I had the camera ready in hand just in case I could snap some nice sunset pictures. That was some wishful thinking indeed. Nice, my elbow.

They might be giants.

Two island men mending their boat.

On the final day, there was an atmosphere of slight glum. Probably due to the fact that we were finally going home; but I had a sneaking suspicion that it was also due to having to pack up our things into the bags. Not the happiest chore on Earth.

On our way to the jetty, we came across this slightly quaint looking building. "It can't be...." I thought to myself.


On closer inspection, it was! This was Prof Wafa's clinic in Langkawi! I wondered if the old professor was in. I never did get to find out as my parents beckoned for me to rush.


But where were we rushing to? It turned out to be that we were rushing to one of the shopping complexes to get my brother a new mobile phone. The lucky devil!

Lesson Learnt: If you whine and moan long enough, you will get your heart's desire. And a nagging afterwards.

We arrived at the jetty around noon, and since the next ferry was only at 1.30 p.m. we had lunch at Hameed's Curry House (is it a curry house?). Hameed's can also be found in Kajang, at the ground floor of Metro Kajang. So, you don't have to go that far to sample some of Hameed's cooking, which I consider average. Except for mynn and family, I suppose. When are you coming back to Malaysia???

The ferry used on our journey this time around was waaaay much better.

All in all, Langkawi was a nice vacation. The family teased each other alot; we exchanged jokes, and that to me is nice. Usually the things that we exchange is sarcastic (not to mention caustic) remarks. And then there are the parents who love to nag advise their beloved children. We all left Langkawi with pleasant memories, I'd say.

By the way, here is a picture of the plate I used during lunch on the second last day. I had the meal with some people whom are well known to a good number of bloggers here. Who were those people? Did they pay for lunch? Why aren't there any other pictures besides my "scrapped-clean" plate?


The comment box is now open for speculation :P

16 comments:

dith said...

I dont qualify to speculate who those people are but I can guess who paid for the lunch which was scraped scrupulously clean! Your dad? :p

So Mama Sarah, can you or can't you scrape that mental pic of the 5 yr old kid? I'd say that guy in the pic above, emotionally looks at the most 5 yrs!

Anonymous said...

macam daddy long leg plak gambo bayang tuh.

anyway,u must show to prof when u get back to college.he must be proud of then,Jamal (^^)

pycnogenol said...

Dah jumpa Pantai Chenang tu, buat apa cari yang Chuchah lagi?

Anonymous said...

Wah ada special dedication. Somehow, I still prefer to picture 'Hiyoshi' as the 6 year old Xanga boy. kihkihkih.

Try again, bro!

So siapa nak start speculate dulu?

Jamil said...

DITH
Was it my dad who paid? Oh...I don't remember saying that heheh...

awe
Hoho. Tau la dia dah tengok citer tu sedangkan kita belum lagi. Haha...Prof Wafa bukan takat bangga la. Dia offer kerja lagi nanti kat klinik dia T_T

pycnogenol
Saja :P

mama sarah
Oklah...Lepas ni guna gambar yang tu sahaja yer?

mynn said...

what a fun & cultured holiday.

kelakar gambar pinggan kosong je ...

as for yr question: maybe august:)

Anonymous said...

I have a good idea how would a tarian merak or payung looks like, but kraftangan??

Speculation eh? You met the whole Spiderman troupe in Langkawi and had lunch together in some restaurant with green and white checkered tablecloths.

Jamil said...

Mynn
Fun,yes. Cultured...Err,I'm not quite sure of that. What makes you say that?

Crimsonskye
Basically,it's the same as tarian payun,only the dancers prance about holding a few traditional crafts e.g. tikar mengkuang, rehal and tudung saji.

As for your guess... :)

Anonymous said...

All in all, Langkawi was a nice vacation. The family teased each other alot; we exchanged jokes, and that to me is nice. Usually the things that we exchange is sarcastic (not to mention caustic) remarks --> That is always my favorite part of a family vacation..

Anonymous said...

i've never been to any vacation.or at least the memorabe one

Jamil said...

ayumi
Same here ayumi-chan!

awe
Jangan la cakap camtu. Sedih benar bunyinya. Nanti dah start kelas, jom pergi melancong yer?

Nusayba said...

we recently had a roadtrip (more like a return trip to perak. it was *supposed* to be langkawi, but well, my dad had last minute change of plans. guess how many days we spent? not even a full 24 hours in perak. (discount jalan nak masuk and jalan nak keluar).

at least my dad made it up by taking us to pan pacific klia for a whole 3 days. and free spas does a lot of good too. heheh.

Anonymous said...

ok jom jamal,kite jadi impulsive.pegi je memane pastu tido kat masjid memane.huhu

23-i've never tried spa before

pycnogenol said...

aw3rz - Tu dah bunyi macam Jemaah Tabligh. Jangan lupa bawa periuk belanga sekali.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » » »

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » »