Tuesday 15 August 2006

Hear, hear

A cause of concern for most of the youth today is the mindless advice being handed around like a length of artificial lawn being rolled out. Normally, the counsel would come from professional advice givers and well meaning, but misguided relatives.

Advice is a little bit like the low impact aerobic skiing machine that you bought over the late night Home Shopping Network. You purchase the bulky piece of machinery, hide it under the bed without actually ever using it yourself and then hand it down to some relative who so happened to drop by the day you were spring cleaning the house. Advice gets punted around by one generation like a rusty soup can and eventually arrives at the doorstep of the next generation, only to be punted around in its turn.

For one thing, I have always wondered about those puzzling hand-me-down bits of wisdom. Why, do we insist that "Where there's a will there's a way" when in fact in recent years, it's been a Kate Middleton? Or that "A watched pot never boils"? That is one of the fastest ways to shatter the myth of parent infallability. All the little tyke needs is a pot, some water, a heat source and a pair of eyes and he will come to know that you are all busk and bunkum, just like your parents before you.

Another thing; the next time you are tempted to solemnly intone that "A rolling stone gathers no moss", I suggest that you take a gander at Keith Richard's teeth.

No wonder young people don't want to listen to advice anymore.

14 comments:

dith said...

If I don't know you, I'd say you're one rebellious teenager! But then again, I've only met you once. Correct me if I'm wrong, are you in an adolescence crisis or something? Your entries these days are so full of angst and sarcastic innuendos...relax la dude! hehe

pycnogenol said...

I'll echo DITH....relax la dude!!

To be honest, I'll have to give this entry, a second or even a third reading. All I know is that, it must have been written by an angry young man...still, I'm not too sure and clear what the 'wedus gembel' is all about????

Arifah said...

Seriously. The gloomiest entry of all your gloomy entries!! Lol.
Relax la dude!!! =p

mynn said...

dith & pycno saying "dude" - LOL! i'm not ashamed to use that word anymore!

Mama Pongkey said...

:D Who is this Kate Middleton? Celebrity kah? Macam familar aje... Kate Lawler tahulah saya...

Have I got news for you mate: Only Prophets are infallible. The rest of us, we try our best not to mess up too much. Just spread the love man...

Mama Pongkey said...

Oh ye tak ye girlfriend si William. Aha.

pycnogenol said...

DrRoza, after reading kenakelayan's last comment, perhaps this entry has nothing to do with an angry young man. (sarcastic maybe)

Guess I just have to find out who Kate Middleton and Keith Richard are.

Hiyoshi, you must remember that many of us here belong to the P.Ramlee and Saloma era. ;)

Anonymous said...

Pycno- isnt Keith Richard one of the Rolling Stone and whose teeth are badly nicotine-stained? (thus the moss!) That guy is certainly from our era!

ayumi said...

Salaam..

I agree with afie. This has to be one of the gloomiest (is there such word?) entries you've ever written.

I don't know if I can be categorized as young anymore... because I want advices :P

Mama Pongkey said...

DITH and Pycno

Alaa Keith Richard the inspiration for Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparow in Pirates of the Caribbean. Sways a lot.

Sarcasm = water off a duck's back. :D

Mama Sarah said...

pycno, go take hiyoshi on a 3 hari 2 malam trip to Pulau Jawa!!!

I echo DITH too, relax la dude! Take it easy. This topic is too heavy for you.

I kinda miss your funny entries, something like your Langkawi posts with the cute car drawing.

Errr, would a souvenir from here make you smile?

Jamil said...

All

Relax everybody. I wasn't angry or rebellious or in angst or anything. I'm okay, and so are you.

But since everybody's worrying, expect something lighter in my next entry.

Anonymous said...

I've only heard of Kate Moss. of Keith Richard I absolutely have no idea.

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » » »