Monday 7 August 2006

Something About Me

Did that title catch your attention? Did it? It didn't? Maybe next time, I'll have to wrap my titles heavily in flypaper. Just to make sure that I get your attention.

I did a bit of reminiscing today. And by reminiscing, I don't mean I read and re-read DITH's blog over and over again. Anyway, there I was sitting by myself on the sofa with a glass of plain water in my hand, thinking about how life has been so far.

Actually, I'm not too proud of it, but I have never entirely trusted the human race. I never really have. In fact, personally I feel that any race which doesn't have the merry ring of a gun shot to start you off and a finishing line where you can wave your arms in the air once you've crossed it, deserves to be looked upon with eyes full of suspicion. In those kinds of races, sooner or later you're going to have this feeling that you are turninig into Forrest Gump; running the endless run.

But I digress.

I consider myself - what some people might call - a pessimist. I always look on the negative side of things and people. Where others see summer in a flower, I see a funeral. My outlook towards life is a very bleak and gloomy one, plus, I only ever use tungsten lightbulbs.

It is of the general opinion that pessimists are bad. That pessimists are evil. They should be gripped firmly by the collar and hurled out of the window or tied up in sacks weighted with rocks and dropped into a river. Pessimists should be avoided like the plague, lest you want to get infected.

For me, I think that pessimists are okay - though it would be advisable to not hang around with more than one of them at the same time. Generally, pessimists are more satisfied with life as they have lower thresholds of satisfaction. If anything manages to be better than the lowly benchmark that they have set, then the pessimists will have been pacified.

Still, it's nice to be given a shot of optimism from time to time. And at the end of the day, whether we are pessimists or optimists, we are all humans. And humans get hungry and need to eat. Which I am about to do right now. Later ~

16 comments:

dith said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dith said...

What is this style of writing called? Surrealism? :p

Anonymous said...

I'd say this pessimistic post ended on a bit of cheerful tone. Sometimes people become pessimists when they're hungry ;)

mynn said...

dith
it's called pessimism

when's your birthday hiyoshi, or rather, what's your star?

dith said...

Mynn,

Not the contents but the style ,I mean.
Like, distorting the meaning of human race or comparing the bleakness of his life with using a tungsten light.

Wonder if there's a word for it. Distortionism perhaps?

pycnogenol said...

It is said that: "The optimist looks at the world "through rose-colored [or lemon-colored] glasses"), i.e. with expectations of a favorable outcome, whereas a pessimist will tend to concentrate on the possibility of outcomes being unfavorable or unpleasant."

Oh come on Hiyoshi, you're much too young to be looking at this world with such gloom.

dith said...

Pycno- Perhaps his brand of pessimism actually reflects his maturity? That he always gets himself prepared for the worst mentally. Thus, should the worst come , he would be able to pick the pieces and become a stronger person?

I have met Hiyoshi in person. Should this self-acclaimed pessimism be true, then, it's surely a positive sort of pessimism, :p

Jamil said...

DITH

I'm not quite sure. Any LITH (linguist in the house) around?

crimsonskye

Sometimes, people get thinner when they're hungry. However, I am not one of those people.

mynn

Aha! Trying to link my personality to a star sign, are you? Well I'm too sneaky a person to let that information leak. All I'm going to say is that I'm exactly one year older than Maria Sharapova.

pycnogenol

I thought the current fashion was dark brown tinted glasses.

DITH again

That certainly is a far-fetched assumption. My parents would laugh to see you label me as being mature.

Mama Sarah said...

I think we all have to be pessimistic sometimes. Although it's always better to be optimistic. But thinking that you are optimistic but not taking any action at all is also useless.

So, how was the food?

dith said...

Hiyoshi:

My parents would laugh to see you label me as being mature.

You meant LOVE didnt you?

No?? Well, that just proves your staunch pessimism!

Mama Pongkey said...

It's a lot more fun to be an optimist than a pessimist.
Angst is not al that it is hyped up to be.

ifos said...

yeah, being an optimist is more fun! But I think I'm a bit of both =)

Anonymous said...

i always expect the least so that when the result come out not so excellent i will not get so disappointed..

am i consider a pessimist?

Jamil said...

DITH

I forget now which is it that I really meant.

KKL

Perhaps so, but pessimists have...wait a minute. No, pessimists don't have anything. They really are sad people, aren't they?

iFos

Really? Lucky you then. You've got the best of both worlds.

cassablancha

Thank you for dropping by! I'm not quite sure what category you fall under. Maybe DITH can help answer that?

ayumi said...

Salaam..

If JPA opens up that psychological test for other students, I'd love to see you take it! I really want to know how many percent you'd get for your "pessimism".. :P

By the way, I really think that a little bit of pessimism helps one gets through life much easier.. as one is aware of the harsh reality of life.

Mama Pongkey said...

Pessimists are sad and lonely. Worse still, they might actually get what they expect, methinks. Because the pessimism might permeate their duas... and isn't God as what the believer think He is?