Friday 18 May 2007

Resounding Responses

I was casually browsing through my bulletin board in Friendster just now when a particular topic happened to grab my attention.

It was titled "Why guys don't pick up the phone or reply messages". A tatty little voice at the back of my head instantly told me that this was posted by some clueless girl who doesn't know that the boy she's chasing after is just not interested in her. Alas, the bulletin was posted by a boy whose face I did not care to give a second look. Still, I clicked the title and braced myself for the worst.

Imagine my mild amusement to find out that it was actually a survey, rather than a 1500 word long essay with a central theme of adoloscent heartache. In the survey, quite a number of respondents had already left their opinions on why guys don't answer the phone. A few example answers are - and I am not making these up:

1. Silent mode + off vibrate = Tak Perasan

2. sbb dia tengah bz with another gal

3. tgn pth sbb xcdent..due² tgn..kaki plak kene simen lagi parah

4. Kijer banyak...due date dah dekat

5. mati kut!

Actually, if boys were to be honest with themselves, they would tell you that half of the time all those excuses given - on why the phone was left ringing for half an hour, or those 29 messages left unanswered - are really lies. And that goes especially for number 5.

The real reason why girls are almost always left feeling disappointed when hoping for a reply from boys is that because boys - bless them - are just plain lazy to do so.

I myself have been guilty of neglecting my phone quite a number of times in the past. It is because of the simple reason that my phone is a clamshell, making it a tiresome chore to flip the darn thing open everytime a message comes in. In fact, during certain circumstances (such as sleep, or in the midst of an intense gaming session), the amount of effort needed to slide my thumb under the top cover and flip it is so great, that it is equatable to making crop circles or perhaps even conquering Mount Everest. So much so that I just give up on whoever it is that just sent me that text message.

So girls, I am telling you this: do not take heart if your calls go unanswered, or your messages unreplied. He may be in the middle of something important, such as receiving the Nobel Peace Prize or discovering a new species of Venus flytrap. But most of the time, it is because he's just a plain sloth.

17 comments:

sarahss said...

Am i the first to comment? yeehaa~~ :P what i can say is - yes, you're right. But it doesn't differ that much with girls. We can be just as lazy. Especially when exams are tumbling up non-stop for 2 months *sigh*

dith said...

Alas, the bulletin was posted by a boy whose face I did not care to give a second look

Amboi sampai hati!

Jalilah said...

Hehe, I'm the kind yang tak boleh berpisah with my cellphone, but there are times that I kind of abandoned my phone, like when I'm at home or jalan2. Hihi...

"A tatty little voice at the back of my head instantly told me that this was posted by some clueless girl who doesn't know that the boy she's chasing after is just not interested in her."

Hehe, kind of pathetic lah that girl. Kikiki...

Jamil said...

sarahss

Bless all the non-repliers!

DITH

That did sound a bit harsh didn't it? But to look at it another way, wouldn't you be surprised if I did take a second look at that boy? A third followed by a fourth perhaps? How about a long, dreamy gaze?

Sometimes I scare myself :(

jalilah

Yes, some of us are late bloomers..

Arifah said...

So BOYS, I am telling you this: do not take heart if your calls go unanswered, or your messages unreplied.

Dude. It goes both ways lah. Don't EVER again streotype it to girls only (saya tak setuju langsung! *baur2 feminism* *tsktsk*). That's always the case this days. Blame it on the female estrogens. Padahal male ke female ke, sama saja.

Ngehngeh. =P

Arifah said...

Ok. Sgtlah feminismnye di atas. Maaf. Hehhe. =D

Jamil said...

afie

Yes, I do realise it goes both ways. In fact, most things in life apply to both genders (think taxes and a bad sense of fashion). But this entry was written with respect to the title of the survey i.e. "Why guys don't pick up the phone or reply messages.

Still, I humbly apologise if I have rubbed any shoulders the wrong way.

pycnogenol said...

Bagus si-Hiyoshi ni. Cepat-cepat dia minta maaf. Jadi nya, segala kebocoran sudah ditampal.

SELESAI masalah!!

Anonymous said...

not everyone is like that. I for one reply ALL of my msgs and emails (if applicable) - it may take some time but i will in the end.

probably because in my case it's not number two. hahaha.

Jamil said...

pycnogenol

*shuts mouth*

mynn

You and your jokes ;)

Anonymous said...

Or maybe another reason:

Handphone kena rampas dgn cikgu..sbb tu takleh reply msg aweks.

(I think txt messaging is always popular among school going teenagers.)

Mama Sarah said...

if i can remember correctly, i read this post before there was any comments. I was too shy to be the first to comment. Then I became rather busy and didn't do my blog rounds for many days.

Now, I'm back but I can't remember what I wanted to say in the first place. Sorry!

mynn said...

hiyoshi
what joke?? i wasnt joking *innocent expression*.

sarahss said...

jamil..why is there no 'previous posts' page element in my blogger layout? how do i make it available?

Anonymous said...

"A tatty little voice at the back of my head instantly told me that this was posted by some clueless girl who doesn't know that the boy she's chasing after is just not interested in her."

haha.were you thinking about someone that i'm thinking right now?haha

sarahss said...

Apparently the commands do not follow the way you say it. No 'customize design' tab found. Or is it mine the odd one out? Should I give you my ID and password..as so that perhaps you might fix it easily in hand? Just merely..asking *wink*wink*.

Anonymous said...

update2x....