Sunday 6 May 2007

The Discerning Bachelor

You might wonder what I've been up to so far during this holiday. The answer is quite simple actually - I've been watching television. In fact, a bit too much for my own good I suspect. Watching too much television is never a good thing for your mental health, especially more so when you have nothing to sober you up - an anatomy textbook, for example.

But even worse than watching the telly for hours at end is watching those absolutely horrible programmes so sneakingly labeled as 'reality shows'. I remember a couple of years back, I sat down through 50 of the most depressing minutes I ever hope to witness on television.

Was it the evening news? It was not. Was it the first half of a Bundesliga match? No it was not. And neither was it the second half.

It was a show so bad, it had me pinching myself just to make sure it was really happening and not just an awful manifestation brought about by my dreadful imagination combined with eating a cheese sandwich too close to bedtime.

It was a show unsurpassed in my memory for plumbing the terrible shallows which the human heart is capable of. It was The Bachelor.

The Bachelor is - or rather, was - another addition to the already large family of reality TV programmes. But unlike such flimflam and flummery such as Survivor and Big Brother and The Apprentice, the reality in this show is all too painfully evident.

The bachelor of the title is a good, wholesome American by the name of Alex who is allegedly quite a catch. And if you happen to believe the producers, he's more than just a catch - he's the whole sardine run. In a brief biographical sketch, we are told that Alex is handsome, that Alex is rich and that Alex used to swim a lot when he was in university. We are also told by his optimistic mum that Alex is unmarried because he 'hasn't found the right girl yet'. Aww. Poor Alex.

But no, lucky Alex! For he's about to meet the right girl! More than twenty women from all around the States have been mysteriously sourced by the producers - through classified advertisements and cards left in telephone booths, I would assume - and they are going to spend the next several weeks vying for the honour of marrying Alex.

Does this sound perverse to you yet? Does it sound like an inversion of all that marriage is supposed to represent?

We are then introduced one by one to the participants. Why, I wondered, are they doing it?

These women wanted to marry, the same way they once wanted Malibu Barbie for Christmas and that was that. They all spoke the language of love. "I believe in true romance," said one contestant. "I believe in love at first sight," said another. "I believe that there is a soul mate out there for everyone,". None of them demonstrated the ability to hear to what they were saying.

Needless to say, The Bachelor was appalling to watch. In the (supposedly) climax of the first episode, Alex speaks briefly to all 20 plus women, then evicts 10 of which he finds least appealing. They stand facing him in a semi circle of frozen grins, like waxed beauty queens.

I was frozen with pure fear of what might come next. I never did find out.

Fast forward to the present, and the producers have done it again with - no prizes for guessing - The Bacholerette, which is even more awful as it now rhymes with Laundromatte.

Oh, the humanity.

12 comments:

mynn said...

hiyoshi you're missing something VERY important about The Bachelor.

at the very end, it's revealed that the bachelor is actually not rich and works as just a e.g. plumber etc2. then, the person the bachelor selected has to choose whether to stay or leave.

... don't ask me how i know.

dyanna said...

wah! what a turn around!
At least Alex is handsome.

Sometimes I wonder what's the main objective (apart from the producers and tv stations making money) of these kind of reality shows? For example, Big Brother... dead boring!

I'll pack my bags and leave the country if we ever have these kind of reality shows here on national tv. (eh, dah ada dah ke?)

Anonymous said...

dyanna
i was thinking the same thing - why are these people doing these sort of things.

i wonder if it's to collect data...


.... for global MIND CONTROL!

Unknown said...

Mynn

I thought that was the format of Joe Millionaire? No, do not answer. It doesn't make a difference anymore. They're both terrifying to watch.

Dyanna

Does Cornetto's Love Perhaps? count?

Mama Sarah said...

And you know about Joe Millionaire too, Hiyoshi???

Anonymous said...

i was just about to say the same thing as mama sarah.

sick really.

anyway, surely theres other more interesting stuff to watch on the telly? (not that ive had the chance to plonk myself in front of one for the past few months ni)

sarahss said...

jamil the bachelor? (eyes half closed).

Jamil said...

Puan Mama Sarah

Unfortunately, yes. The chilling visions of a spaghetti haired man by the name of Evan (see, the producers even lied about his name) still flash before my eyes form time to time, and I find myself shivering as if it is winter.

nusayba

Just found out who you are *laugh*

Actually, there are other things which make up my staple diet in television - not that I have a large one. Advertisements.

sarahss

Are you in a trance?

dith said...

Yoshi,

So who is really this discerning bachelor you're referring to? Yourself eh?

Jamil said...

DITH

I am refering to all the single males who - like me - in their pursuit of something worthwhile from the telly, have watched those awful shows. I pray that they be given the strength to recover from the ghastly experience, just as I have.

Arifah said...

I never did like reality shows. Except some. =D

Anonymous said...

laaaa.

serious? ive broken away from 23-ism dah. normally use my real name when commenting on blogspots. i suppose if i hadn't left my blog address last time, you'd probably never find out huh?