Monday 23 July 2007

Untying The Knot

Being stuck in a small and confined space such as in the family vehicle is a definite health hazard. Consider all the possible risks you face when sitting in the 'oh-so-luxurious' cabin of a saloon:

1) You may crash

2) You may get deep vein thrombosis (especially on long haul journeys)

3) You may die of carbon monoxide poisoning

But that is nothing compared to the one, scariest possibility of all which is, you may end up having a big discussion with your parents about a particular topic - marriage.

Note: I suppose you could call this post something of a 'continuation' to Sarah's latest entry here, where she tells about her experience sharing secrets - secrets that she would never have thought of spilling before - with her mother; and coming out of the experience feeling more mature.

Congratulations Sarah! It's good to know that at least some of us are growing up.

Of course, this wasn't the first time that I have talked about the matter. Indeed, I am no stranger when it comes to talking about marriage. But then again, past discussions with my parents have only touched on general features of the family institution such as why a mum's blood pressure automatically increases after her children grow up into their teenage years, or why parents are allowed to force their children to eat vegetables, and how parents have the power to override any logical and sane argument given by their offspring simply by saying 'Because I say so'.

However, this time around the discussion was more sober and serious. And that gave me goosebumps.

I cannot remember most of what was is that my parents were talking about; partly because of my current efforts in trying to eradicate the ghastly scene from any recollective memory, and partly due to my inattentiveness to what they had to say on the subject. But from what little I can gather, the gist of it was that they intended to , in the future, introduce me to several 'nice girls'.

'Nice girls'? What's that supposed to mean? Now, I am pretty sure of myself when I say that I meet nice girls all the time - and some nasty ones too, on really unlucky occasions. Given that situation, why would I need my parents to introduce me to some more nice girls? That is like having another slice of pie when you still have half a slice on your plate. That is being greedy.

Still, my parents were adamant about the idea. In fact, they wanted me to go and meet 'the family'. When I almost doubled over from choking on my own saliva, my mum asked me what was wrong with the idea. And then before I could retort with a useless answer, she further asked me was it because I already had someone else (without her knowing) that I didn't want to go and meet other 'nice girls'.

Well to be really honest, I am not all that adverse to the idea of meeting charming young ladies, or even their parents for that matter. I mean, if I find myself facing a question which I cannot answer (Jamil nak settle down mana lepas kahwin?), I can always feign rabies, or perhaps sudden death. But the thing which bothers me the most is, how would they look at me after that? How would they perceive my parents then? I am enough a source of embarrassment to myself, what more my parents. And the last thing that I need is for people to be throwing queer looks at them while I froth myself silly on the floor.

And then my mum said the unthinkable.

"Don't worry. We'll do all the talking"

Postscript: My parents will most surely be ticked off after reading this. So before I receive a harsh lecture and a good wallop to the rear, I'd like to take the opportunity to wish Happy Belated Birthday to Pycnogenol. The present'll have to wait until after that wallop arrives, I'm afraid.

15 comments:

dith said...

That is like having another slice of pie when you still have half a slice on your plate. That is being greedy.

Say that to those greedy men who prefers to pasang lebih dari satu, when they need 3 extra slices of pie when they've already have one pie that're filling enough for them! :p

So Yoshi, when are you meeting The Fockers?

Anonymous said...

wah!just added one more people into my 'getting married' cart.hahaha.when will u meet the family then?and how about the the other slice of pie that u already got eyh?hehe.i think u should just be honest with your mama and let them do the talking afterwards.and i mean with your pie's parent la.haha

sarahss said...

"But from what little I can gather, the gist of it was that they intended to , in the future, introduce me to several 'nice girls'."
*wink*

"In fact, they wanted me to go and meet 'the family'."
another *wink*wink*

Needless to say, i cannot stop myself from giggling. Teehee~~

You may as well get yourself prepared to join Heidi's club (righto?).

Oh, yes. A big GOOD LUCK from me. Don't get too nervous, eyh :P

ps:so...you really do have that other piece of pie?

pycnogenol said...

I think it is unanimous now that, before you start to feign rabies or froth silly on the floor, how about being really honest and telling us all whether you have that half a slice of pie on your plate still?

If you ask me, if that half a slice on your plate is really unpalatable, then throw it away or give it to someone else.

By the way, before going for the next slice, I think it's not too bad an idea to find out the pie you're eyeing for this time around....at least, find out what kind of pie it is, the ingredients and whether you are allergic to its fillings or not. This is to be fair to all – the pie, the pie-maker and you. He..he… ;)

P/S - So. When do you think you’ll be walloped? If I’m gonna get my present only after you got your beatings, it might as well be sooner than later. ;)

Anonymous said...

I'll never look at any pie the same way again.

pycnogenol said...

Skye - And thanks to Hiyoshi for re-inventing the pie theory. Now, he's stuck in search of solutions!!!

Anonymous said...

'sugar pie honey bunch,u know that i love u,i can't help myself,i luv u and nobody else'

hehe.a right song eyh.hehe

Jamil said...

DITH

Greedy men will always be greedy *sigh*. And I have no idea when mum and dad will take me to meet The Fockers. In fact, I don't know if we'll be meeting them to begin with!

aw3rz

Thanks for the support *groan* From what mum and dad have been lecturing me all this while, I can safely say that my marriage cert will not arrive until I can at least grow a moustache and a beard. And that may take awhile.

Sarah

Hey, hold your horses there! I'm not ready to join Heidi yet. Contrary to whatever ideas people may get about me through their reading of this blog, I am truthfully - and unsurpisingly - still an immature, self centered and downright childish boy who still finds it hard to wake up in the morning. That is certainly not husband material.

Now don't you dare go and find a husband who can't wake up in the morning. You'll be punished with no breakfast for the rest of your married life if you do.

Pycnogenol

I am beginning to regret making up that pie analogy now (macam nak nangis!). It seems that everyone is querying into it; as if I have inserted some hidden meaning behind The Pie.

Honestly, I write faster than I think. Giving some thought into it, I actually do a lot of other things faster than I think. And giving that pie analogy happens to be a perfect example of just that.

Crimsonskye

Please don't. You'll miss out on all the wonderful flavours. Apple pie with cranberry sauce, anybody?

dyanna said...

I shudder at the thought of having to come to 'the discussion'. I hope there's and "ESC" or "ABORT" buton to push to get out of that awkward atmosphere.

Anonymous said...

hello there....

nak gelak guling2 jap..

Hiyoshii!!! dah besar panjang rupenya budak nie..huhu Good for you.......:)

nati update pasal tu ye..

sekian.

aziflasron.wordpress.com

ifos said...

LOL crimsonskye!

Thank God my parents haven't reached this phase (and I don't think they ever will)! =D

Mama Pongkey said...

The other day my dad was being deliberately secretive about the reason he went to Pekan (turned out h was purchasing goats). After exasperating tries to pry the reason for the trip out of him, I nonchalantly said : 'nak cari calon menantu ke?' He was suitably dumbfounded, so much so that my mom had to chime in 'nak cari kambing la!'

Hahahahaha.

I think it is sweet of your parents. But of course, seeing the family doesn't mean you have to say yes to the girl kan? As long as the pressure is off, jumpa je. Dan buat selamba. Selamat berjaya!

Mama Pongkey said...

Ifos:

Never say never. Hehehehehehehehe...

Anonymous said...

"risaunye mak ayah aku neh!",sighed you.

haha.

Jalilah said...

Waaaaa.... So damn scary man!!!
If I were in your shoes, I would have turned extremely quiet (which is weird for me considering I talk a lot)Haha.
Hiyoshi, you're still young, meh... Ready ke nak settle down? Hehe..