Tuesday 15 January 2008

The Woes of Jaypee, eyh?

It goes without saying that there's a lot of frustration going about in the world today. In fact, there is hardly a day that passes by without one waking up only to feel depressed by it all and then pull up the blanket again. For the most of it, these frustrations can be broadly categorised into two: those that make you want to bang your head against the wall, and those that make you want to bang your head against the wall some more. I have had the greatest pleasure of experiencing a frustration of the second category for some time now.

Ever since our second semester started, oh say, about four months ago, I have been living off the sympathy of my parents and friends all due to the fact that my stupid scholarship has not arrived yet.

For an overworked(!) and underpaid student like myself, nothing spells out 'food' and 'basic necessities' so much as 'scholarship'. So you can imagine the state of living I have been in for the past four months without monetary aid from the government. Some friends have been quick to point out an alleged similarity to a malnourished caveman.

And it's not as if the students haven't done any complaining. About two weeks ago, a student rep asked the Deputy Dean of Student Affairs for her help in inquiring about the state of our scholarship. When the involved government body was contacted, the best answer they could give was "We have not yet decided on the amount. Please inquire again in a few days time". I imagined the department was probably full of little men in black suits and bowler hats spinning about red tape as if it were the last thing to do on earth.

I know it's no use complaining against bureaucracy. Half of the time your complaints get shoved down a garbage chute, if not your throat. And for the rest of it, you may very well go to prison for 'spreading false lies about the ineffectiveness of the government'. But what do they expect me to eat whilst waiting for their undecided amount of money - grass?

18 comments:

ifos said...

Tell me bout it- I just came out of the banging-head-on-the-wall phase over scholarship money too ;) Although in my case it was totally my fault for not managing my money well. haha. But at least u get to learn one thing- family n friends are the greatest things on earth! eh? hope your issue gets solved soon (those little men in black suits better do something! lol) n just for the record, grass don't taste that bad. really. =D

Anonymous said...

i must be one of the lucky few batches that almost never receive their scholarships later than promised. (not that i ever remember any promises ever made lah).

persevere!

oh, by the way, its efx2blogs.com now. they had to change hosts, due to some phishing scam or something.

dyanna said...

A good time to start puasa sunat. Then make some du'a so that those little men in their little bowler's hat will do their job more effectively.

dith said...

I guess the problem is pretty universal eh. Muhammad has been surviving on meager meals for couple of months (read: friends' maggi, rice with cheap fish fingers). The reason is probably the same as what those guys over here gave plus some other incomprehensible excuses like updating the registration list etc etc. Worst still he had to pay a year advance in the hostel fees which he is still waiting for reimbursement.

At least you have your parents close by ....revel on that dude!

Jamil said...

iFos - You're making fun of me, aren't you, you cheek? :P Oh well, perhaps it really won't taste that bad...once you have it together with mayonnaise.

23 - Some people have all the luck in the world, don't they?

dyanna - I doubt that the little men can improve on their work so long as they keep decorating the office with red tape.

DITH - Well yes. My parents have been providing me with some money and a little something else too - sarcasm. Loads of it.

Anonymous said...

have some pity on the government.they need to subsidise oil,drugs,condom,syringe,flour,tyre,windshield,bicycle etc.hope they subsidise dlsr,dslite,psp,macbook and ipod too.nothing personal mamma jamil ^^

Anonymous said...

Dont worry my friend, I will make sure the government paid u enough money - enough for a brand new nintendo ds lite plus R4. Dont be sad my friend. Please.

Anonymous said...

pecok just said that jamil.directly.now you blame me of being an evilish creature eyh.hehe.joke2.don't kill me.

dith said...

dah dapat duit belum? (the same question I ask Muhammad every day)

pycnogenol said...

Dith - I wonder where the word hunch originated. I shall look it up. Well, the dictionary didn't provide the origin of that word and I suspect the reason is that they had no idea.

Anyway,how come I have this hunch that when Yoshi 'dah dapat dat duit', he's not going to exchange the money with roti canai or mee mamak or nasi campur or Char kway teow, but instead, it's going straight to Low Yat in exchange for dslite,psp,macbook and ipod.

Bukang g'gitu aw3rz?

Jamil said...

awerz & pecok - Oh, come on. Stop with the lies already, will you?

DITH - Belum lagi :(

pycnogenol - I can instantly prove that your hunch is wrong. It's just a dslite, none of the rest *laugh*

Anonymous said...

Hey, who said that jamil was going to spend his scholarship on things which are unnecessary? That was totally a false statement. I know jamil wont do that.

oh yea, by the way, when are we going to buy dslite jamil?

dith said...

Pycno

*drroza wonders why Pycno is so interested in the origin of the word hunch* <---I have a hunch that Pycno has something up his sleeve or a bee in his bonnet or is he just pulling our legs??

Jamil <--mengguna nama sebenar awak menunjukkan betapa saya perihatin terhadap masalah duit ini

Dah dapat belum?

pycnogenol said...

To Hiyoshi, aw3rz, Pecok and you too, anonymous - Your parents worked very hard to get you to this point. Do not deprive them of the pleasure of supporting you.

So,getting youselves all those dslite,psp,macbook and ipod with the scholarship money, and getting your parents to continue subsidizing your meals and your daily needs all boils down to good strategy.

It's a win-win situation. ;)

Dith - ada yang tersengat ke? ;)

dith said...

Tu dia Pycno dah naik hangin! :))

dyanna said...

I heard of a story about a friend's friend's cousin who used his scholarship money to buy the most high end branded phone and flaunted it to everyone. At the same time, he's got extra allowance from his parents.

When his parents got to know about the phone, they made him return back the phone, got his money back and stop giving him extra allowances.

I hope history doesn't repeats itself :P

pycnogenol said...

Dyanna - I just hope that Hiyosyi's parents get to read this entry and all the comments too.

And to you Hiyoshi - I hope when asked for explanation from your parents, you will not come up with the safe and much used phrase: " I dont know" or "I cant remember" ever writing that entry!

Unless you too belong to the 'Melayu Mudah Lupa' group who suffers from 'Selective Amnesia'... ;)

Jamil said...

DITH - It's already day...no, I don't know what number it's at already, but there's still no scholarship. I've heard cruel whispers that it might come this week, but that's just repeating last week's bluff.

Pycno - Aha...do you have someone in the family who does that?

Dyanna - Really? Well it's really the boy's own fault for being that careless, eh?