Friday 20 February 2009

Finding And Losing

One of the reasons why we're so polite to strangers - I'm assuming we all are because we're civilised beings - is because we do not want to end up looking like we were the one raised up in a zoo without any proper training in social behaviour. Surprisingly (or should I say not?), when we've known someone for a substantial period of time, that feeling of having respect and showing some courtesy towards the said person disappears. It's true. Try doing a cohort study on it. Get to know somebody new in your life. Note how you treat the person during the first couple of days/weeks/months and continue this practice for a reasonable amount of time. The outcome of this can be anything from ending up as husband-and-wife to staying merely as acquaintances, but the important thing is to note how you behave towards that person. 


Do you still stop yourself short of saying 'Yes, your bum does look big in that outfit'

Are you starting to roll your eyes whenever it's their turn to talk?

Do you find yourself starting to act like a self righteous bastard with the person?

I'm not saying that I don't do it - I do. Especially the bastard bit, although I wouldn't really call myself self righteous. Ask my parents. They are sure to tell you of countless occasions where they took heart with what I said. Ask my friends. I'm sure there have been comments in the past which they have never really forgiven me for it. Ask anyone who knows me - you'll get the same kind of answer.

As cliched as it may sound - don't take people for granted. Unless you happen to be a baboon with inept social skills (which I am sure you are not), always remember that the people you meet in life may not necessarily always be there for you. And when that day comes, will they leave with fond memories or otherwise?

Note to self: why so serious?

7 comments:

Sop said...

jatak, it's good to maturate. or it, putrefy? so hard to find a word to describe this once-in-a-lifetime anomalous Universe event.

it's like the Big Bang, but more like, Jatak, What DiD You Bang Into Last Night?

Jamil said...

Somebody call Edwin Hubble quick!

p.s. Is something wrong with your keyboard, usop? Or did you type the above comment while you were half asleep?

Sop said...

he died 55 years ago.

no, nothing wrong with my keyboard. i wasn't asleep either. the conundrum continues..

Jamil said...

You can certainly say that again. You lost me at the Big Bang

aw3rz said...

big bang? ummm. tak senonoh btol la korang ni. camne kalu de underage reader kat sini. considerate la sket.isk2

Jamil said...

Yang aku lebih risau ialah apabila pengomen seperti ko yang datang membuat komen-komen tidak senonoh

ifos said...

too true, too true... a very good reminder. thanks!