Tuesday 14 July 2009

What's The Meaning Of This?

Aren't you going to ask me what's my first impression of you after the first time meeting all these years?

"Well, are you going to answer that?" asked my brother. There was an impatient emoticon at the end of the sentence.

"Oh, yes. What was it again?" I typed back, with keyboard markings on my face.

*******************************************************

We had been talking about an incident which had happened earlier that day. He had gone out with a group of old friends from school and amongst them, was a girl whom he used to have a crush on. Have you ever been in that position? What did it feel like? Did you get butterflies in your stomach or was it more of like the sensation one might get had he unknowingly downed a plate of bad rice? Or were you all cool about it, not flinching a bit even when your eyes briefly met in a gaze which seemed to have lasted an eternity?

So they had lunch; a nice lunch at a nice chicken rice shop. Myself, I have some experience in attending these so-called 'small reunions' and I know that at the table, everybody will be talking at the same time and you get kind of lost trying to figure out who's listening to who, never mind what they're all talking about with their mouth full. Your best bet to indulge in some decent conversation would thus be to grab the partner of choice and make a getaway for it to another eatery, but since this is not practical at all, the second best option would be to sit next to the person of interest and make small talk then. Which is what my brother did.

They chatted a bit about what they've been up to the past few years when the girl suddenly popped the question above. "I mean, was she sincerely asking whether I wanted to know or was she merely stirring the bush, get what I mean?" my brother asked. "To be truthful, of course I am a teeny bit curious but shouldn't things like that be discussed in private without us being surrounded by onlookers? What gets me the most is when I texted her a bit later in the afternoon, asking about what she meant, I didn't get a reply. Strange." he continued.

Just because I was born two years earlier does not mean I am wiser in matters such as this. To me, girls are - and will always be - a puzzle wrapped in shrouds of mystery and locked up in a box of enigma.

Any girls out there care to give their two cents? Boys are welcomed too; I don't discriminate.

18 comments:

dith said...

How come Kagero ( I assume it's him) is seeking 'girl'advice from someone who can't smile a decent smile, gets stuck in a sentence, opens his box of memory but forgets what he was looking for?? :p

...btw,can't give my 2 cents here, I am no more a girl, :P

Jamil said...

dith - I see that my Facebook status updates have been used against me ;)

I don't think it was so much of him wanting advice than it was a chance for him to gloat that he was flirted with (uh-oh. Me and my far-fetched conclusions again)

dith said...

At least you don't get people dictating what you should write there ..hehe

maskedfacies said...

Orang slalu ckp psl butterfly terbang2 dlm perut. rasa die mcm mana sebenarnya? x pernah rasa pon.....

Jalilah said...

ok, my 2cents >> I think your brother should have just said yes. Haha... just to see what happens next. If it's a compliment, way to go brother! If it's the other way around, then can't help you there brother. Hihi...

Jamil said...

dith - indeed I am blessed in that sense. PI'll probably have people dictating what I should write if I ever decide to go into journalism.

mimi - entahlah. Aku pun tidak pasti macam mana rasa tu. Tak pernah terlintas pula di fikiran untuk telan seekor rama-rama.

jalilah - like they say, opportunity knocks but once *wink*

Sop said...

oestrogen intoxication muddles the thinking process.

aw3rz said...

Agree with Jalilah. Your brother should just say 'yes'. He will get nothing by thinking too much. Impulsiveness is sometimes the way to go.

And, is he sure the phone number is correct?

Jamil said...

usop - oh whatever are you suggesting?

awe - impulsiveness and the aftertaste of awkwardness, yes.

azaHmaeL said...

I couldnt think of anything. i'm having ABO

azaHmaeL said...

I couldnt think any. i'm having ABO

aw3rz said...

Again, thinking too much.

What if there is no awkward aftertaste? Nobody knows until he say 'yes'.

Jamil said...

azah - quick, somebody give this girl mannitol!

awe - Then good for him :)

Unwitting Self said...

I'm a girl but I'm absolutely clueless..It's weird for her to ask the question in the first place..I mean people don't usually asked you that,do they?

Could it be that she likes your brother? At least that's MY IMPRESSION of her..haha

aw3rz said...

You take a 6-year course to understand that?

Hehe.

mokchique said...

Agreed with Rie. She IS weird for popping out that kinda Q.



Anyway, u an always answer back with a question ' why do i have to ask you that?' or 'Why do I want to know?'


it's kinda cruel and heartless, actually...heheh~

Jamil said...

rie - no, they don't. But humans are notorious for their unpredictability aren't they?

mokcik - really? I was under the impression that the question was meant to test the waters :P

Aiza said...

I am pretty sure that the girl was just joking. No hard feelings.