Sunday 29 April 2007

Camera On The High Lands


What can I say about Cameron Highlands except for that it is indeed, a very cool place.

We had the best of luck this time around - there weren't as many people as we thought there'd be, giving us the leisure of strolling about and snapping pictures without a care. Which is exactly what we did during our two day stay.....

......which was actually supposed to be a three day stay, but since the beloved family vehicle took an awfully long time to complete the mandatory check up, we had to sacrifice a day of fun. But never mind! The fact that we got there is good enough.


We departed from home around 4 in the morning and arrived at Tanah Rata around four hours later. Thankfully, the journey up the spiralling road was uneventful and no plastic bags had to be deployed. Upon arrival, we stopped at one of the more famous eateries for a quick breakfast before checking in at The Heritage.

I wonder how come we never see houses designed like this in Kuala Lumpur

Honest, I didn't intend to show off my superhuman strength whilst pushing down the door knob of our unit.

The Highlanders have a quirky taste for lamps posing as double helix strands of DNA.

Since we had already lost a day, dad decided to make the most of our short stay and immediately brought us out for a spot of sight-seeing. Of course, the sights in Cameron Highlands hardly ever change - I mean, what type of changes can you expect to see in the Tudor styled resorts? But that didn't stop us from enjoying ourselves.

The first place that we went to was one of the many strawberry farms, it's name which I now forget. Strawberries are usually associated with Cameron Highlands because that is one of the only two places in Malaysia where you can find them, the other being Cold Storage. To be quite honest, I've always found Cameronian strawberries to be - how do I put this nicely? - unsweet.
Still, it's always a nice treat to be able to sample something not commonly found down here.

Fortunately, this bug was not on one of the strawberries that I sampled.

After having done in a packet of strawberries with cream and a medium sized cup of vanilla ice cream served with strawberry syrup, we moved on to our next destination - Ye Ole Smokehouse. The Smokehouse is actually a restaurant and a hotel, but we weren't there neither to dine nor to take a quick nap; we were there for pictures.

There it is, right there - the Smokehouse minus the smoke

They even have a London telephone booth!

Flowers were in bloom almost everywhere, and that was a good enough excuse to whip out the camera and go all trigger happy. Luckily, my parents brought along their camera too, if not there wouldn't have been any pictures with human subjects in them.

I was just in time to catch this bee doing..whatever it is that bees do.



One place where I would most certainly recommend going to would be MARDI. The place houses an impressive collection of flowers in all sorts of colours, and from the looks of it, I'd say that the people over there have done a pretty good job in maintaining them flowers. Well done! Oh, did I mention that they also have several types of fruit? One of them is the strawberry.

I'm guessing this is the...main building?


I caught this VW van outside of the MARDI compounds. I was half hoping for a glimpse of hippiness, or at least a glimpse of John Lennon.

All in all, it was a very fruitful (pardon the pun) day. The times I weren't taking pictures were the times I was eating. Yes, I did a lot of eating. So much so that by the time dinner came, I just had to pass. My only regret on this trip was that it lasted such a short while. Maybe I'll egg my parents to go back there for another visit in the short future.

After many botched attempts, I finally managed to capture a decent silhouette. The tree could've been more attractive.

Postscript: I know this is nothing spectacular, compared to the likes of Sofi, Mynn and even Puan Mama Sarah.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

its good to know that cameron highlands is still cool. i could still remember that in the 70's we loved the 'mulut berasap' act. it was cold even in the noon if one was shaded from the sun.

nice composition but it the lens need changing, not so sharp in that sort of light. maybe you could talk to your parents in getting you a dslr. ;) however i like thwe pic of the yellow volkswagen. :0 selamat bercuti lagi.

Mama Sarah said...

i've never been to Cameron Highlands. So, I'm all jakun reading this post :)

Anonymous said...

glad to see you're flexing your camera's sensors hiyoshi. Nice to see you're recording your life away in pictures. where are pictures of the family??

ps - a bit of photoshop knowledge could really make the pictures sizzle. it's worth learning.

Anonymous said...

ps - for beginners, photoshop has many auto options - auto contrast, auto colours, etc222.

Anonymous said...

sorry me again! ikelah - sofi doesn't have a DSLR and she's producing excellent pictures with her camera. time to get her a dslr

Anonymous said...

isk isk isk mynn... kita nak mengenakan hiyoshi's gang.... kita kena balik. as for sofi, her olympus camera is almost prosumer with lots of manual controls. she has not mastered the manual/AP/SP yet. let her explore what her camera can do before getting a dslr. ;)

Jamil said...

ikelah

Yes, I've noticed that from the beginning. The picture tends to be a bit soft at the periphery. But still happy, nevertheless!

About the DSLR, that will only materialise through either one of two ways: I buy it myself, or it magically falls down from the sky.

Puan Mama Sarah

Really? I mean really? Why am I surprised? You should go if you have the chance later on.

Mynn

As stated in the post, pictures of the family would be in the family camera :P I've already dabbled a bit with photoshop - the hibiscus picture actually had a couple of cables in the background, which I clone stamped out of sight.

Mynn again...

Any suggestions to sites where beginners like me might be able to pick up a few skills?

...and again

Hahahah!

dyanna said...

Cameron Highlands to me looks like a place that came out from the 70's - 80's movies, the ones with Jins Shamsuddin and Noor Kumalasari, doesn't it?

Nice work with the camera.

pycnogenol said...

I like your pics. Not bad at all.
And just like Mynn, I'm asking the same question, where are the pics of your family members???

Yoshi, I'm really inspired by this photo-entry of CH. InsyaAllah, I'll try to find time to go there end of the month. ;)

Anonymous said...

ikelah
my father and i quite like olympus cameras - they produce quite good photos. to me sofi seems to be using the camera well - very impressed with the picture of her sharp in the centre and people in the background blurred with movement. In fact, that picture inspired some of my latest ones.

whoops -- wrong blog for this kind of talk. I've promised myself not to go all nerdy about cameras on my/other people's blog.

hiyoshi
for photoshop skills you could either (a) google it (b) look at my blog: then on the Tag Cloud just click on "photoshop" - many links there.

can't wait to see more of your pictures & pictures of your family :D

Mama Sarah said...

Really really!

I don't know if I'd go there. I'd be worrying about the road condition, the almost guaranteed overcharged prices of accommodation and food, etc...

I might stop this sojourn thing altogether when I'm back in Msia (except for balik kampung)

Jamil said...

dyanna

In case you didn't know, I came out in the 80's :)

Thanks for the compliment!

pycnogenol

I'm still learning. These pictures are nothing compared to the bona fide photo bloggers we have here.

mynn

I would put pictures of the rest of the family members, if it weren't for the fact that other people might recognise them *wink*

Puan Mama Sarah

Surprisingly, the food is reasonably priced - save for a few eateries, of course. Other than that, prices are still the same as they would be on low land <-- This sound kind of funny, don't you think?