Thursday 1 May 2008

Yes. You're So Correct, Aren't You?

"Sarcasm isn't funny; it's actually quite damaging", someone said to me. At that time, I shrugged off the comment as merely being a by-product of lost sleep and late nights filled with unhealthy snacking. I can say with 80% confidence that people are prone to turn silly - and possibly ugly, too - when they are deprived of their beauty sleep.

However, now that I have tons of free time on my hands, I've been thinking about it. Could it be remotely possible that I've somehow managed to offend someone with my sarcasm? I mean...I'm not all that sarcastic. Plus, I don't make sarcastic remarks all the time - perhaps only every other time.

I tried talking about this 'problem' of mine with a friend who's more matured than me (read: older, and I mean that in a nice way). She said that we have to reflect upon what others say. Sometimes there's truth in them and at other times, it's just bollocks i.e. grossly exaggerated.

Note: My friend did not use the term bollocks. I just inserted it there to grossly exaggerate the conversation I had with her.

So, I was then asked whether I felt if that comment was truthful or just a way of getting back at me for making witty remarks which some sorry people just aren't capable of appreciating. I replied that I thought that the person actually meant it. Then, my friend proceeded to tell me that she thought sarcasm was a part of my character - how I create rapport with others.

.....

Hold on a minute.

That's as if to say that my way of becoming friendly with others is to take jabs at their fragile emotions which just might crack if I prod at it a wee bit too hard. Sheesh.

But I think it's quite true actually, and I'll tell you why. I'm honestly rather careful with my cynical remarks, meaning to say that I don't throw them around carelessly in the same manner that Hilary and Obama are throwing accusations about each other. I will only proceed to employ sarcasm upon another being if I feel that I am comfortable enough with the person and that the person is also comfortable enough with me, or at the very least, intelligent enough to discern when I am being sarcastic and when I am serious. So if you are offended by what I've said, the possibilities are either:

1. What I said was truly insensitive
2. You're just being overly sensitive (like any participant of Akademi Fantasia), or
3. You don't know me that well yet

To put the blame on myself, I'd of course say that 99% of the time, the reason is #1 (and never once #2). But how about #3? Have you ever considered that possibility? Well, have you?

I don't know. What would you, dear readers, think about me? Am I too sarcastic to the point of being offensive?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog doesn't do offensive sarcasm. I think its kind of like wit. Somewhat. However, it does give off a hint that you can be sarcastic (witty people have a way with sarcasm methinks).

Sarcasm imo colours our speech and personality. I personally think its a mixture of intelligence in a artistic sort of way. But only in small doses. Too much of anything is never good.

At any rate, each one of us is accountable for what we say, sarcasm ke, serious ke, joking ke. So reflecting on what is said and done on a daily basis is a good thing to do (like your friend said). Regardless of whether it was reason no1, no2, or even no3 for that matter. Oh ye, kalau no3, that would also mean, you couldn't have known that person so well either gak kan? Two way kind of thing methinks.

My few cents je la ni.

p.s. pukul 3pagi tak tido2 lagi?

sarahss said...

If a person knows you well enough, he'd surely understand how being sarcastic sometimes is just the way some people would want things to be. Pretty much though, i find these people having that extra humour edge :)

dith said...

Someone has commented to me before that your comments at times were sharp and sarcastic. I however never felt so. I thought you were more witty than sarcastic. Meeting you in person confirms my notion that you can never be sarcastic. Having said that, I don't know the real you. Contrary to what you wrote, if I knew you better you might be sarcastic after all! hehe

Jamil said...

23 - You know, I never looked at it that way before. Perhaps I have been too self-absorbed to get to know others. Hmm...

Oh, pukul 3 tak tido lagi adalah masalah utama remaja - yang mana menerangkan kenapa mereka seringkali tidak boleh bangun pagi.

sarah - Correct me if I'm wrong, but I got the feeling that those were kind words for me. Thanks :)

DITH - The word 'sarcastic' appeared so many times in that comment that I was on the verge of thinking you were being sarcastic yourself :P

But seriously, which well-known personality would you rate as being sarcastic to point of being caustic? I'll try to avoid ending up being like him/her.

pycnogenol said...

Honestly Hiyoshi, I wouldnt mind having the wit or sarcasm that can be used with deadly effectiveness.

BTW,are you referring to the well-known personality who has just started blogging? I must admit that I have this love-hate thingy with this trait of his. ;(

ifos said...

Who is this well-known personality who has just started blogging?? ;p

As for your sarcasm, I think for the most part I've enjoyed it. That said, I think there might have been a time or two when I thought your comments were a tad too.. um.. pushing it. But the reason could be, yeah, no. 3. So it's all good ;)

Hope I didn't offend you. And I welcome any criticism too =)