Sunday 12 April 2009

I Am No Gym Class Hero

I am no ardent fan of gyms, there is no hiding that. In fact, I will go so far as to say that I detest gyms. Please excuse me when I say this, but I just do not see the logic in paying good money just to get yourself intimidated by beefier looking men who are probably bench pressing several hundred pounds more than you will ever hope to while looking good at it. Of course muscled men aren't the only natural inhabitants of those dreary dungeons that reek of sweat, testosterone and cheap deodorants but who wants to talk to the fat boys?

**********************************

So I passed a gym the other night. Now, I know how big they can get, but this one was obscenely huge. It stood like a monolith in the middle of other, more sensible buildings. The bright lights and loud, upbeat sounds coming out from that monstrosity of a construction only served as bait to curious visitors who, if carelessly enough wandered into the compounds, would instantly be transformed into mindless slaves to the treadmill.

No, even that is too much drama for my standards but judging from how religiously some people go to the gym to flatten their stomach or try to magically conjure up perfectly sculpted abs from a mound of fat, one (especially yours truly) can't help but wonder whether the returns are really all that worth the effort required of them?

Now, I can fully appreciate the mantra 'no pain, no gain' and I absolutely understand that you need to break a leg if you want to ace an exam, or dishonestly claim some insurance money from false claims that 'a car ran over me'. But doing 300 bench presses just to acquire the biceps of King Leonidas is pushing it a tad too far. There is a fine line dividing greatness and madness, and this happens to be one of those lines.

Still, I have no beef whatsoever with beefy macho men. By all means, if walking several hundred kilometers on the treadmill is your idea of fun, be my guest and walk several hundred more. Just do not intimidate me at the beach by ripping off your shirts and showing off those fabulously sculpted abs of yours.

17 comments:

aw3rz said...

at least sculptured abs is better than your big protruding belly. owh, sorry. my mistake. its your butt - protruding other way round.

Jamil said...

Wrong again. Those two belong to you. And unlike you, I do not have to climb mountains to keep them in check :P

Sop said...

an aspiring couch potato.

Jamil said...

I hope to someday not only aspire, but also inspire

dith said...

The mantra 'no pain, no gain' is no more valid in this recent times. In any exercise, once you experience pain, it is a bodily signal for us to stop and rest. That I learn from my aerobics guru, :p

Btw, why the angst against people who want to stay healthy and fit?

I don't mind entering such monolith if it gives me motivation to sweat my fat away! (and no mixing of genders please)

Quit sulking and start pumping dude, hehe

Faiz Shukri said...

i will stick to "30minutes per session, 3 times a week" for now. insyaAllah it's good enough to keep me fit.

i couldn't think what would be left of me if i did 300 bench presses? a macho skeletoid-human being hehe

Jamil said...

dith - no, no. I don't have any anything against people who want to stay healthy and fit. It is people who go to gyms and come out looking like Tyrese Gibson that I resent. Extra hate points if they come out looking like Tyrese Gibson who has just oiled his body.

faiz - I think only your nose hair would be all that is left

Unwitting Self said...

Jamil - I'm glad you're not a fan of gyms coz I can't possibly imagine a 'beefier' version of you..haha

Jamil said...

ms self - perhaps some photoshop wizardry will help to change your mind?

Unwitting Self said...

Jamil - Pleeease no,spare me the torture

aw3rz said...

wohoho. beefier version of jamil? thailand will be invaded fully by his butt. haha.

why not meatier? haha

Jamil said...

And thus, awe finally reveals his long-hidden penchant for mens arses. Congratulations on coming out of the closet

ifos said...

staying fit is fine, a bit of muscles is also fine. but please stop before getting scarily close to those body-builder types. eeekk.

aw3rz said...

aduh. dah silap paham dah korang. sile jangan kaitkan aku dengan cite Salo ok

ifos said...

happy birthday. ;) May Allah bless you with all the good things in life..

dith said...

Happy Birthday! May Allah swt bless you with guidance!

maskedfacies said...

i once went to the gym gk.

tp x lame. sbb byk sgt laki (yg perasan berketul).haha

dan aku siap penah pitam lg sbb over work out.

tp tu dulu...

skrg kembali jd sedentary. mcm biasa.hahaha