Wednesday 28 March 2007

Assuming The Role Of...

...a student bound to sit for his final exams next week is what I'm supposed to be doing right now. However, circumstances would have it that I've grown quite sick of reading my medical books, and that I need some medication; which would be to read blogs instead.
And while I'm at it, why not kill two birds with one stone and put up a post of my own?

********************************************

I'm sure a number of readers here already know what cosplay is. But for those who don't have an inkling of a clue, cosplay is actually...well, basically it's a dressing up game played by both children and adults alike, only that they don't dress up as doctors, firefighters or even housewives anymore. Instead, they dress up as characters from mangas, animes or even video games.

The thing which makes cosplay more interesting than your usual dressing up game is the fact that not only do you have to dress up as your favourite character, you also have to imitate all his traits (e.g. the eccentricites of Kakashi Sensei from Naruto). In other words, you have to become the character himself. Quite a bright prospect for those of us who are born with naturally boring lives.

I doubt using even Brylcreem will help you achieve that kind of hair

Such is its growing popularity that competitions are being held all over the globe (mainly in the US and Japan, of course) with participants trying to look as convincing as possible. Some of the more popular choices would be characters from Naruto, Deathnote and the Final Fantasy series - with results varying from really, really good to absolute bollocks.

This is an example of a good cosplay of Naruto


While this is supposed to be Sailor Moon. What the...?


With that in mind, I thought I'd have a go at it. Just to see whether I'd fall into the 'really, really good' group, or the'absolute bollocks' bunch. I chose a fairly simple character - Jack from the manga title Märchen Awakes Romance @ M.A.R. Jack happens to be a farmboy, and we all know that imitating a farmboy is the easiest thing after, well, being a farmboy.

Everybody, meet Jack the farmboy

Now, meet Hiyoshi the farmboy

Do take your time to evaluate my cosplay. And don't forget to give feedback :)

12 comments:

Mama Sarah said...

go back to your revision!

(kihkih... can't help but to laugh though. You still manage to show some humour in the midst of an important exam??? isykh3x... if it was me, i'd be locked up and nose in the book 24-7. [tidurlah tu kot?])

dith said...

cosplay? What the world is getting into I wonder.

Anyway your costume doesnt even fit 0.1% of the real character! hehe...you should have slapped a tonne of hair gel and spiked your hair. Or better still dress like sailor moon main character! :p

dyanna said...

more like a (il)legal construction worker than a farmer... :P

ifos said...

I think you resemble more like Luffy from One Piece! That straw hat... haha.

sarahss said...

......

i declare myself speechless*wink*wink*

I think if I was ever into Cosplay i'd choose Snowhite as the model.hehe (though it isn't an anime)

Jamil said...

Just a quickie:

Puan Mama Sarah

I am! I am!

DITH

I would have. Unfortunately, I nay have the grizzly moustache and beard to do so.

dyanna

ROTFL. Eh, illegal construction worker sekarang pun handsomely paid tau.

iFos

Ha'ah kan? Never looked at it that way. Maybe next time, I'll have a friend play with me as Nami ;)

Sarahss

Surprised? Flabbergasted? Or disgusted? By the way, Snowhite is an excellent choice for you. You were born for the part *smile*

Arifah said...

Hehehhe. Hahahaha. Hohohoo. Hihihi. Can't... stop... laughing... =P

Sarah: Yes, you were born for that part. Skin as white as snow. ;)

MDR said...

*LOL*...now that is FUNNY! I'm trying to guess the exact location for this photoshoot...because it looks ahem, strangely familiar ;-)

please don't tell me u guys are pulling part time stints as tractor drivers over there! :-D

Arifah said...

Oh I got your sms the other day (a loooong ago other day). Quite suprised by it tapi takde kredit nak reply sampai la hari ni. Betul ni tak tipu. When I'm on vacation even my topup excursions are on break. Hehhe. So what was it about anyway?

pycnogenol said...

Heard that if you assume the role of a beggar in Malaysia, you get paid even better than a construction worker. And if you happen to be in Kuantan, you no longer have to beg for DITH's chicken. She'll serve a beggar ANYTIME!!!

mynn said...

you look more like One Piece dude - the straw hat & the long limbs.

ayumi said...

salaam..
i agree with mynn.. you look more like luffy than anyone else..