Thursday 19 April 2007

A Pleasant Surprise

As you may well know, today is my birthday. Nothing really surprising, since there's bound to be someone somewhere out there in the world, celebrating their birthday no matter what time of year it is; it just so happens that today is my day.

Nothing unusual happened when I woke up this morning. Every little item in the room was still as unbearably boring as the night before - except for something in particular. Something that made me rub my eyes a few more times just to make sure that I wasn't still asleep when I first laid my eyes on it.


"Could it be...?" I asked myself. Wanting to be assured that it was the real deal, I carefully made my way to the other side, all the while holding my breath, in fear of that I might accidentally sneeze -or worse, belch - and scare the funny looking object sitting quietly at the corner of my bed.

The rectangular shaped item still hadn't made a move, so I took it as an invitation to come closer. And come closer I did, until I was looking right down upon it.


By this time, I was already blue in the face from holding my breath too long. And I did the unimaginable - I let out a heavy sigh. I tell you, the unidentified object jostled about! I hastily retreated from where I was crouching before, lest I wanted to present myself as a threat to the poor thing. After what had seemed like an eternity passed by, I finally plucked up the courage to approach it again.

This time, I was sure it was what I thought it to be.


Hardly able to contain my happiness, I promptly - and rather clumsily - jumped up and down on my bed. I had finally received what I wanted all this while - a camera! I then proceeded to rush out of my room in search of my parents. Oh, the joy!

Mum and Dad, thank you so much for getting me the camera!


These two pictures are a tribute to Mynn

*sigh* If only that was what really happened. I could've written a script about the morning's event worthy of a Hollywood production team with Steven Spielberg at the helm, or M. Night Shyamalan for that matter. He seems to be interested in all that is suspenseful and mysterious.

Unfortunately, I bought the camera 3 months ago using my own money, which would explain why I've been short on cash ever since. I think my mum noticed this, and I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that she even knows that I bought the camera. But I know that she knows, so I suppose you could call us even.

(Mum: Aiman, it's not funny. Duit tu boleh simpan dalam ASB untuk masa depan. Ni buat beli kamera. Cuba sayang duit tu sikit)

No, that was not an actual quote from my beloved mum. But I wouldn't be surprised if she says something along those lines later on when she reads this entry.


So, if the camera is not the pleasant surprise (as mentioned in the title earlier), then what is?

Actually, the most pleasant surprise of all on my 21st birthday is that I don't feel like it at all. Call it self denial, but the thing is that I still feel as if I'm 20. Not a single snide remark has managed to get the fact to sink in. Not even all those bad 'Dah boleh mengundi!" jokes. I do wonder why.

And that, my friend, is the pleasant surprise on my birthday :)

18 comments:

ayumi said...

salaam.. yay! i'm first! otanjoubi omedetou gozaimasu!

ifos said...

Happy birthday! You got me with that camera story. Haha.

About the age thing, yeah well, age indeed is just a number, eh? A friend asked me to list the wonderful happenings on my birthday and my feelings, and I said, everything except feeling one year older. ;p

Enjoy your day. And the camera. =)

Arifah said...

Happy Birthday! And yeah, you got me too. I still feel like I'm 15.. and guess what? I've been told a couple of times this year by various people that I look like a form 4 student! Yipeeee. Hehhe. Jangan jealous. =P

May you have all the best life can offer... oh, and feel young forever!!! ;)

Jamil said...

Ayumi

Salam to you too. And..err..perhaps I should let Mynn reply the second part for me.

iFos

Glad you liked the tale *chortle* I have yet to feel one year older. I predict that will happen in a few years time.

afie

I was about to ask you whether it's because of your 'cuteness' that they said you looked like a secondary school student, then I came to my senses and decided against it *wink*

Anonymous said...

oh how wonderful it is to be 21 :-)
if i can remember u as an 18-year old and ur 21 now..gosh, then it's a reminder of how much OLDER i am...yikes! Happy Birthday anyway :-D

-u know who-

dith said...

"There are things/events that you think are good for you but are actually not and there are things/events which you think is bad outwardly but is actually good inwardly. Allah swt knows best"
So even though the camera was self bought it still has good hikmah in it.

Happy Birthday Hiyoshi!

Mama Sarah said...

happy birthday Hiyoshi.

salam kepada Mama anda (yang telah melahirkan anda ke dunia ini).

pycnogenol said...

Having children of my own, I'm pretty sure there must be good reason/s why mum and dad refused to buy you the camera. Care to tell us all? We promise to be unbiased Judges.

BTW, 'dah boleh mengundi' is NO JOKE at all. To me, it is a reminder that you are now an adult and should therefore start to behave responsibly. Can you not see the relationship with the fact that the fate of the nation is in your hand....thus the voting rights???!!

(Sorry Yoshi...but it's something I feel strongly about) Happy Birthday to you, but I still wanna remind you to register to vote!!

Jangan marah. ;)

Jamil said...

anonymous

This is so mysterious. Who could have known me as an 18 year old boy, and still recognise me three years later?

Thanks for the birthday wish anyway *smile*

DITH

The hikmah in buying that camera was that I managed to take snapshots of the many events we had before the exams came! Thanks for the wish!

Puan Mama Sarah

Mama saya seronok menerima salam Puan. Saya rasa dia juga teringat hari-harinya sebagai seorang ibu yang mempunyai dua orang anak dan tinggal di luar negara satu ketika dahulu :P

Pycnogenol

I have no idea why my parents didn't get me the camera. Must have been because they felt the money could have gone to better use (a DSLR perhaps?)

Yes, the responsibility of voting I can understand. Alas, the 'responsibility' of feeling - and looking - as young as possible is mine alone to carry. How sad.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Hiyoshi. I was 21, years ago, tapi tak pernah mengundi pun... (maybe now is a good time to register).

Nice camera. And it's a good temporary investment, because (digitally) captured memories are worth more than gold.

Anonymous said...

happy birthday hiyoshi. i was so happy for you for getting a new camera - i really hope you're happy with it & can't wait to see what adventures you'd record with the new toy. I personally feel, that it's a worthy investment - we have but one life and it'd be nice to record the happy and precious moments in our lives to reminisce upon in our older years.

dammit hiyoshi, your twist mid-story is worthy of the M Shimalayan you cameoed - what a sick but clever twist!

anyway hoping a bright and happy future ahead for you. take care!

sarahss said...

Salam jamil...Happy birthday :)

nope, it isn't wrong to not feel that you're 21 when you actually are..had been through that stage 4 months ago.

Your story NEARLY tricked me - if not for this sentence :

"I tell you, the unidentified object jostled about!"

It just somehow told me that something fishy is about to happen.

Which was true. Lalala~

Jalilah said...

Happy belated birthday Hiyoshi!!! Sorry for the 2-days belated wish.

Well, you really got me with that story. Ceh, tertipu... Hihi

Well, I felt the same when I celebrated my 21st birthday last year. I didn't feel like 21, I felt I was still 20. And this year is just the same. Even though I haven't celebrated my 22nd birthday just yet, I still have to remind myself that this is my 22nd year in this world. I guess I am living in denial. I refused to grow up and grow older and become an adult *sigh

Anonymous said...

so when can we start seeing pictures from this little snapper?

Jamil said...

dyanna

Thanks! I wonder how many years ago was it when you turned 21 ;)

mynn

I really liked how you mentioned that we only have one life, and that it'd be nice to record the precious moments that we collect as we go along our way.

LOL, so sorry for misleading you. But I couldn't think of any other way to let my parents know about the camera without them sighing exasperately at me hahaha...

Rest assured, pictures will come in as soon as an exciting event decides to drop in on me. Or would you rather I take pictures of common household items, such as a spatula?

Jalilah

That's okay! The effort of wishing me is what counts :)

It's okay to feel and act young - up until a certain age. Somewhere say, oh, 50? *laugh*

Anonymous said...

happy belated birthday 'yoshi. i buy bday presents for myself thesedays (puas hati dapat benda yang i really like...haha).

Anonymous said...

u really did dat?haha.i thot u wudnt do dat when u sed ur going 2 suprise urself aka suprise ur mama.haha.neway,epi mendapta utk mengundi.

p/s:i'w writing dis via phone.so forgive me 4 d sms-look-alike comment (since evry1 wrote wiv correct spelling n grammar.haha.juz like u jatak)

Jamil said...

nusayba

Hello there! Thanks for the wish. Just curious about something - would this happen to be THE nusayba? My classmate?

awerz

Haha..One has to find entertainment where possible. Besides, I couldn't think of a better topic to write about on my birthday.

That's okay. Sms grammar or no sms grammar, feedback is very much welcomed :)